Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Love this recipe because it's quick and no fuss; there is no need to roll dough. Don't expect a smooth finishing like regular biscuits. Delicious with just butter or butter and jam. Mother always makes it for an afternoon snack.
- Combine flour, baking powder, butter, sugar, salt mix until mixture resembles course meal.
- Add egg, 3/4 cup milk and fennel seeds stirring until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Depending on the flour you might need to add more milk.
- Put some butter in your hands and make 2'' balls with the dough.
- Bake in a greased baking sheet at 400 degrees till biscuits are lightly browned, about 12 to 15 minutes.
Excellent biscuit! I used soy milk, and instead of fennel seed used some fresh dill weed. I made the biscuits a little larger than the 2" balls, and they were perfect for breakfast with some herbed butter spread on them. Also, at 400 degrees it was a bit too high and I found the edges burning before the whole thing was fully baked, so I turned it down to 375 and it was perfect! Thanks for a wonderful and versatile recipe!
Used whole wheat flour, 1 cup of buttermilk, subbed the fennel for dried chives and added some grated cheddar, paprika, and garlic powder! Easy and yum!!!
A quick fluffy biscuit, soft on the inside with some crunch outside, and the flavor of licorice.