Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
I have so many favourite salads, but in the summer this is it for me. You could substitute any melon, any cheese. Prep time is chilling time. I put the diced melon in the freezer, checking after 20 minutes.
- 1⁄2 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 8 cups watermelon, seeded & diced, very cold
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2-1 cup reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled
- black pepper (optional)
- cayenne pepper (optional)
- ground habanero chile pepper, for those that like a real kick (optional)
- Chill till cold the diced watermelon (I also keep it cold when serving by placing a bowl filled with ice within the bowl containing the melon) Just before serving, in a small bowl, whisk the mint leaves, lime juice and olive oil Pour mixture over melon, tossing to coat.
- Add any options.
- Sprinkle crumbled cheese on top of servings (some people don't care for Feta, use your favourite).
I made this for a Labor Day BBQ today and it was a huge hit! Everyone loved it and asked for the recipe. It was super quick and easy to toss together.
This was wonderful with a hot, spicy grilled chicken dish. I kept it really simple--the watermelon, the feta, and a little less than the mint called for (I did not even chop it). Simple, really pretty, and SURPRISING, which is always fun when you have company. Pretty too.