Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A fresh, unique salad that is sooooo incredibly delicious in the summertime when melons are fresh and juicy. VERY interesting ingredients blended together to create utter bliss. Enjoy! (You may omit the pine nuts if you are not crazy about them and substitute jicama- you can also play with the vinegar... try cider vinegar or red wine vinegar for a different twist or use basil rather than mint!) Oh, the possibilities!!!
- 4 cups watermelon, cubed, chilled
- 1⁄2 cup sweet onion, such as Vidalia, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup of fresh mint, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) package feta cheese, crumbles
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts, gently toasted
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 lime, juice of
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cut chilled watermelon into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Add onion, mint, olive oil, vinegar and lime juice. Gently toss together.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste- and set aside.
- Gently toast pine nuts in a small pan over medium heat, 3-5 minutes, until golden brown. Be careful not to burn. Set pine nuts aside to cool.
- Add cooled pine nuts and feta cheese crumbles to salad. Toss gently and serve.
- This salad can be made up to one day in advance- just cover and refrigerate to enjoy later.