1/2 Photos of Minty Sweet and Sour Eggplant (Aubergine)
Chef Kate's Note:
An absolutely delightful canape or side dish with lamb or grilled fish from Madhur Jaffrey. It's easiest done with long, skinny Japanese eggplant, but it works equally as well with standard Italian eggplant, cut into half-circles. You can slice and broil the eggplant in advance and do the final touches just before you're ready to serve.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
To prepare the eggplant
- 2 1/2 lbs eggplants
- 6 -8 tablespoons peanut oil or 6 -8 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 -2 teaspoon kosher salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1Preheat the broiler and position the rack on the top level.
- 2Line a baking sheet with foil and brush the foil with oil.
- 3If using Japanese eggplants, slice on the diagonal 1/3 inch thick.
- 4If using Italian eggplants, slice in half lengthwise, and then cut slices 1/3 inch thick.
- 5Lay as many as will fit on the baking sheet and brush with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 6Broil until lightly browned.
- 7Turn and repeat.
- 8If you have more slices than will fit on one baking sheet, repeat the process until all slices have been browned.
- 9Turn off broiler and pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- 10Toast the cumin seeds in a small saute pan until they darken and give off an aroma.
- 11Cool the seeds and place in a bowl with the rest of the seasoning ingredients.
- 12Lay the eggplant slices in a baking dish in slightly over-lapping rows or concentric circles. Dribble or brush over each row the seasoning mixture until all slices are used.
- 13Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. (Result is a lovely casserole/gratin of eggplant to serve as a side.
- 14In the alternative, place slices on baking sheet, brush with seasoning mixture and bake till mixture is absorbed. (Result is a canape which can be served on its own).
- 15Beware--the aroma is so good you will be tempted to pick one up and eat it to the despair of your fingertips and tongue.
- 16As a canape or a side, the eggplant can be served hot or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Minty Sweet and Sour Eggplant (Aubergine)
Serving Size: 1 (217 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 184.8
- Calories from Fat 125
- Total Fat 13.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 489.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 2.0 g