Recipe by Chef Pisces
..... topped with browned Marshmallows, of course!
Top Review by The Spice Guru
This is like no other sweet potato dish I've ever tried. The combined flavors are surprising, amazing and each ingredient complements the next beautifully. I love your technique of soaking the sweet potatoes... Brilliant. Thanks for another great recipe, ChefPisces... from Pisces Moon Chef Aries with a Cancer ascendant... hehe
- 16 ounces 100% grade aaa pure maple syrup
- 1 pint orange juice
- 6 -8 organic sweet potatoes
- 1⁄2 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1 orange, peeled
- 1⁄2 cup fresh mint sprig
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash/run the sweet potatoes under cool water using colander, then pat dry with towels.
- Next, thoroughly peel each sweet potato with a potato peeler.
- Soak the peeled sweet potatoes in hot water overnight: (Sweet Potatoes are very fragile, boiling them causes bruising, and baking them dries them out. Letting them sit in hot water keeps them moist and is the most gentle way to get them to soften).
- Remove softened sweet potatoes from the water and thoroughly pat dry with towels.
- In a large mixing bowl, use a potato masher or fork to mash them gently.
- Use an orange grater on the orange and add grated orange rind to the mixture.
- Add the Maple, orange juice and whipping creme. Then, using an electric mixer on a low setting, gently mix till everything is a fluffy and whipped consistency -- no lumps!
- Pour into an oblong baking dish and cover with foil, then bake at 325F for 20-25 minute.
- Remove from the oven and add marshmallows to completely cover the top, then resume baking uncovered for about 5 minutes more, but be careful -- marshmallows burn very quickly and you only want them to be lightly golden brown, so keep checking.
- Once the sweet potatoes are finally removed from the oven, add the fresh mint all around the perimeter of the sweet potatoes, and they will take on a slight mint flavor as they cool.