Recipe by Saturn
This is a recipe I adopted from the Recipezaar account. UPDATE May 30, 2006: This is great! The mint flavour somewhat dissipates but it is still lurking in there! As it was hot in my kitchen, the chocolate mixture never got to room temperature. Therefore, mine never really "set up" properly. So I froze it. That worked beautifully! It was like a fudgsicle in a pie shell. It was somewhat difficult to cut but it wasn't impossible. I look forward to making this again and again. It was a great treat on an unbearably hot day! Plus, it is nice to know that I have a special sweet treat hiding in my freezer just waiting for me! (Chilling time is not included)
- 6 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup mint chocolate chips
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 (9 inch) graham cracker crust
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium heavy gauge saucepan, combine 4 T sugar, cornstarch, and mint-chocolate chips.
- Gradually stir in milk.
- Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until mixture BOILS.
- BOIL 1 MINUTE; remove from heat.
- Transfer to a large bowl; cover surface of chocolate mixture with plastic wrap. Lay the plastic wrap on the surface as to prevent a skin from forming.
- Cool to room temperature (20 to 30 minutes).
- In a medium bowl, combine heavy cream with remaining 2 T sugar; beat until stiff.
- Remove plastic wrap from chocolate; beat well.
- Fold in whipped cream. (I left mine with some lumpy parts and we liked it like that.).
- Spoon into crust. (Depending on how high your whipped cream gets, you may end up with a REALLY full pie.).
- Chill until firm (about 2 to 3 hours).