Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This little cookie has a sweet minty treat inside - an Andes mint. Oh, MAN...my favorite after-dinner mint. You can't get any more rich and creamy than those. These are excellent for a cookie tray at Christmas or a gift basket for a friend's birthday.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 2⁄3 cups self-rising flour
- 18 -20 Andes mints candies
- powdered sugar or cocoa, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Beat sugars, shortening, butter, vanilla and egg in a small bowl. Stir in flour.
- Shape 1 tablespoons of dough around one mint. Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 9-10 minutes or until just golden brown.
- Roll in powdered sugar or cocoa and store in an air-tight container.
These are good. Very minty. If I make them again I think I will use 1/2 of a mint in each cookie.
I made these for a mint lover but when I gave it to her she scrunched her nose up a bit. So maybe I did something wrong. Oh well I am not a mint lover so they were just ok to me.
this recipe was really good! I made the cookies and took them to an office party. They were gone by the end of the evening with many compliments from my office co-workers. If you are not an mint fan than I suggest using plain hershey bars with the same size chocolate pieces as the andes mint. Very good!