Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Little mints that resemble Altoid size candies.
Make and share this Mints - Altoid Style recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb gum paste (from candy section of craft store)
- 15 -20 drops essential oils, peppermint (food grade)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red food coloring (or sub paste or gel food coloring)
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- Open bag of gum paste & add the peppermint (or other flavor of your choosing).
- Close bag & knead until well incorporated.
- Remove 1/2 of gum paste (cover & set aside).
- Add food coloring to paste left in bag & knead to incorporate.
- - From this point, you may want to wear some kitchen gloves (you know - thin, food handling type, so you don't end up with red hands. You may also want to work on parchment or a cutting board to keep your counter from possibly staining :) -.
- Remove red paste from bag, finish kneading color in, if necessary.
- Working fairly quickly, to avoid the candy drying out (you can use the powdered sugar to dust the surface you're working on).
- Split red & white pastes in half & roll in to 4 long, thin ropes.
- Place 4 ropes together & roll into one rope approximately 1/2 inch in diameter.
- With a very sharp knife cut into 1/4 inch pieces.
- If they squish a little, due to cutting, just press back in to round.
- Toss in a 9 x 13 baking pan and air dry for 48 hours.
- Package in little cellophane bags or little tins (washed), etc, from the craft store.
- NOTE - Cooking time is drying time.
- From Cheeky Kitchen 2011.