Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
Granitas are easy and a great summer treat.
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup watermelon juice (cut watermelon into chunks and leave in a bowl, juice will collect in bowl)
- 5 cups watermelon, seeded and cut into chunks
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 teaspoons of fresh mint, chopped
- Combine sugar and watermelon juice in a small saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves; remove from heat.
- Place watermelon cubes, lime juice and peppermint extract in a blender; cover and process until smooth, stopping once to scrape down sides.
- Add sugar mixture to blender; cover and process until blended.
- Pour mixture into a 9x13-inch pan, cover and freeze at least 8 hours or until firm.
- Remove mixture from freezer and scrape with a fork until fluffy.
- Garnish with mint and serve immediately.