Recipe by Gaelige Coinnaigh
Refreshing summer soup! Additional Information: Each: 193 Calories, 372 mg sodium, 38 mg cholesterol, 12 g fat, 17 g carbohydrates, 6 g protein, 6 g fiber
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen baby peas
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 green onions, trimmed and thinly sliced (white part)
- coarse salt
- 1 small bibb lettuce, leaves well-washed and tough ends removed
- 2 cups chicken or 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 bunch of fresh mint, stemmed and washed well
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- white pepper
- 1 small pea shoots, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the peas according to the package directions, drain and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a soup pot over medium-low heat. Add the green onions and salt and cook, stirring, until just softened, 3 minutes.
- Add the lettuce and ½ cup water, cover and cook over very low heat until very soft, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the stock and 1 cup of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Working in batches, transfer the lettuce mixture, peas and mint to the blender and process until smooth.
- Transfer to a clean pot and add the cream. Simmer 5 minutes.
- Season with more salt, if needed, and add white pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls and garnish with pea shoots.