Recipe by Sharon123
This rich, elegant soup is a perfect beginning for an important dinner. Try to use fresh mint! English and also French recipe.
Top Review by Jo in Singapore
Delicious!! I've only recently started making soup, as it's the only way I can get my almost-three year old to eat veggies, and this one was perfect! It's healthy, flavourful, filling and super easy to make! I followed the instructions exactly and used my immersion blender right in the pot. Perfect! My boys ate it up, as long as I called it "Percy Soup", as in Thomas the Tank Engine's friend Percy, who is green. :0) Thanks for a great recipe!
- 4 tablespoons sweet butter
- 2 cups finely chopped yellow onions
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, defrosted
- 3 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 10 ounces frozen peas, defrosted
- 1⁄2 bunch of fresh mint
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a pot.
- Add the chopped onions, cover, and cook over low heat until tender and lightly colored, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, drain the spinach and squeeze out excess liquid.
- Pour the stock into the pot, stir in the peas and spinach, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, until peas are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Pull the mint leaves from their stems; there should be 2 cups loosely packed leaves.
- Rinse thoroughly and pat dry.
- When peas are tender, add mint to the pot, cover, and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Pour the soup through a strainer, reserving liquid, and transfer the solids to the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade, or use a food mill fitted with the medium disc (or just use the handy dandy blender).
- Add 1 cup of the cooking stock and process until smooth.
- Return pureed soup to the pot.
- Add the heavy cream and additional cooking liquid, aboout 1 cup, until the soup is of the desired consistency.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, simmer briefly to heat through, and serve immediately.