Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Fresh and hearty salad. Perfect for vegetarians and vegans.
- 300 g of green puy lentils, uncooked
- 2 large handfuls fresh mint leaves
- salt and pepper
- 1 lemon, finely zested and juiced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 4 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons vinegar, your preference (optional)
- 1 large red onion, finely diced
- 1 bunch of broad leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, finely diced
- Put lentils in a pan and cover with plenty of cold water. Bring to the boil and simmer, covered, for 15-20 minutes, until tender but still retaining their shape.
- Process the mint leaves, garlic, olive oil and lemon zest into a rough pesto. You want it rough not too smooth, then add the lemon juice and pepper to taste.
- Drain the lentils well, tip into a serving dish and stir the mint dressing through along with the chopped onion and vinegar. It's important that the lentils be warm at this stage because they seem to better absorb the the mint pesto and onion flavours. Let macerate in fridge for at least 30 minutes and then stir in the diced red bell pepper, chopped parsley and chopped fresh coriander and serve.
- NOTE: Macerating it is optimal but you can skip that if you don't have time.