Recipe by Bobtail
This is from my "Farm Journal Country Cookbook". I am posting this because I have seen many recipes calling for lamb and veal. It is recommended that this be served with either of these meats. I have also read where many members of Zaar grow their own herbs and seasonings. If you fall into either category, maybe you would like these. If you try this recipe, I hope you enjoy it!
Top Review by Chef Kate
An excellent condiment--the liquid is a cross between a syrup and a sauce, the onions retain some crispness and the flavor is terrific. I can't wait to serve some of this with grilled lamb. Thanks, Bobtail!
- 1 quart vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 cups fresh mint leaves or 1⁄4 cup dried mint flakes
- 2 -3 drops green food coloring
- 4 cups onions, peeled and sliced
- 4 pimientos, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Tie mint in cheesecloth.
- Place in saucepan with the vinegar and sugar.
- Heat gently for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in food coloring.
- Add onions and pimentos.
- Heat to boiling.
- Remove mint.
- Pour into hot 1/2 pint jars.
- Add lids and process in boiling water bath for 5 minutes.
- Remove jars.