Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a lovely summertime soup that makes a perfect starter to an elegant dinner party. Make it the night before to allow the flavours to develop. The secret to cold soups is not to serve them ice cold. Remove the soup from the fridge about 20 minutes before serving and re-adjust the seasonings if necessary.
- 2 English cucumbers, peeled and seeded
- 3⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons dry English-style mustard
- 2 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1 large red pepper, finely diced
- 1 large yellow pepper, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, chopped (plus extra whole leaves for garnish)
- lemon juice
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- Chop one of the cucumbers into 1 inch chunks and set aside.
- Dice the second cucumber into a fine dice and set aside.
- In a food prcessor, puree the 1 inch cucumber chunks, yogurt, salt, sugar, and dry English mustard until smooth.
- Transfer the puree to a large bowl and stir in the buttermilk, bell peppers, the remaining diced cucumber and 2 tablespoons of chopped mint. Chill the soup for at least 3 hours or preferably over night.
- Just before serving stir in the lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish servings with extra fresh mint.