Recipe by Karen Elizabeth
Couscous, traditional Berber food, is one of North Africas' great dishes. Here, mixed with lemon juice and mint and served with roasted vegetables, it makes a memorable meal. This is a family favourite, my youngest DD in particular is a couscous addict! (Preparation time does not include 3 - 4 hours marinating time) From Linda McCartneys World of vegetarian Cooking
Top Review by Katzen
A delicious summer salad that looks so involved to make, but is really quite easy! I used homemade vegetabe stock instead of water for the couscous, and as I didn't have any aubergine, used a yellow squash (zucchini) and five portabella mushrooms. I also tossed in most of a pint of grape tomatoes that had been roasted. I only used half the olive oil prior to roasting the veggies - I didn't add any more when making the salad, as it didn't need it - it was delicious enough! And I did toss in some feta cubes, too. Delish! Thanks, Karen Elizabeth! Made for Veggie Swap 13.
- 1 large aubergine, cut into chunky batons
- 1 lb courgette, cut into chunky batons
- 1 large red onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 12 garlic cloves, in their skins
- 10 basil leaves, torn roughly
- 1 sprig chopped fresh parsley
- 4 -6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red pepper, grilled, skinned, quartered and de-seeded
- 1 yellow pepper, grilled, skinned, quartered and de-seeded
- 4 field mushrooms, sliced
- 15 -20 black olives, pitted
- 8 ounces couscous
- 1 pint water, boiled
- 1⁄4 pint olive oil
- 2 lemons, juice and zest of
- 1 yellow pepper, de-seeded and chopped finely
- 4 spring onions, chopped finely
- 4 -6 tablespoons chopped of fresh mint
- sea salt
- black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Roasted vegetables:.
- Put the prepared aubergine, courgettes, onion and garlic into a large bowl with the basil and rosemary. Sprinkle with half the olive oil and toss well. Leave to stand at room temperature for 3 - 4 hours.
- Pre-heat the oven to 220c/425F/gas 7.
- Spread the vegetables onto a baking tray or trays, in a single layer, and drizzle with the remaining olive oil.
- Roast for 15 minutes, then add the peppers, mushrooms and olives, and toss.
- Return to the oven and roast for a further 10 - 15 minutes until the vegetables are tender, turning once more before the end of the cooking time.
- Minted Couscous:.
- Put the couscous into a large bowl, and pour the boiling water over it. Stir for a couple of minutes until the water has absorbed and the couscous is tender, about 6 - 7 minutes.
- Add the olive oil, lemon juice and zest, and mix them in thoroughly.
- Stir in the chopped pepper, spring onions and mint. Season with salt and pepper, and serve with the roasted vegetables.