Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
My grandmother gave me this recipe. She usually makes it around the time of year when the Girl Scouts come by with their Thin Mint cookies! The pie has the texture of a brownie, with a very mild, refreshing flavor of mint. If you'd like a stronger mint flavor, I would replace the vanilla extract with peppermint extract. The inside stays very moist and gooey! I usually use walnuts, but any nuts you are partial to in brownies would work just fine. Please note that the pie should be refrigerated for 3-4 hours before serving, and this is not included in the cooking/preparation time.
- 14 thin mint cookies
- 3 egg whites
- 0.25 ml salt
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 118.29 ml nuts, chopped
- 118.29-236.59 ml whipped cream (optional)
- unsweetened chocolate (optional)
- Chill cookies in refrigerator for a few minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat egg whites and salt until soft peaks form.
- Crush cookies into crumbs and fold into the egg mixture.
- Add nuts, sugar, and vanilla extract, and mix well.
- Spread mixture into a lightly buttered 9” pie plate.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 35 minutes.
- Cool thoroughly, and refrigerate for 3-4 hours.
- Optionally, serve garnished with dollops of whipped cream and curls of shaved, unsweetened chocolate.
FANTASTIC! This was one of those recipes that really intrigued me -- how is it possible to be called brownie pie with no flour, no chocolate?? Magic happens my friends! And the result is a wonderful dessert! I added the vanilla to the whipped egg whites and whipped some more. Then I folded in the rest of the ingredients all together at once. Somehow in the oven it turned into a light browie pie... Oh, and there are 16 thin mints to a sleeve so the extra two must be eaten as is! Could easily be made gluten free by subbing gluten free crushed cookies. Yum!
This is a really great recipe, my family enjoyed it. However the next time that I make it I will be serving it hot, fresh out of the oven (maybe ala mode). I sampled it both hot and after refrigerating and it's much better warm!! I will be making it again, it was super! Tell grandma thanks Starrynews!