Recipe by Chef Regina V. Smith
A yogurt ice cream from Gourmet Magazine, April 1990. The prep time is long because you have to allow the simple syrup to cool.
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon of fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice, strained
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucean combine the sugar and water, bring mixture to a boil and boil it until the sugar is dissolved. Cook the syrup over moderate heat, undisturbed, until it is reduced to 1 1/4 cups. Allow syrup to cool, and chill it, covered until it is cold.
- In a bowl combine the yogurt and cream. Force the syrup through a fine gauge sieve onto the yogurt mixture, and fold it inches Stir in the mint and the lemon juice.
- Place mixture into ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer's instructions.