Recipe by Linorama
This recipe comes from a Betty Crocker cookie cookbook my aunt gave me for a birthday present when I was a kid. It was my first "grown up" cookbook, and little did she know, she started my collection! I like these because they use butter mints and give a mellow minty taste to the shortbread. Prep time includes chilling time.
Top Review by Chef Itchy Monkey
I love this recipe! I have made it almost every Christmas for the past 5 years or so. They are always a huge hit. I wish I could find an easier way to crush the mints though... I like them super-fine and powdery and that is so hard to do!
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup crushed yellow butter mints (about 5 oz.)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- With electric mixer cream butter till light and fluffy.
- Add mints; mix well.
- Add flour; blend well at low speed.
- Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- On waxed paper, pat chilled dough to a 9-inch square.
- Sprinkle dough with sugar.
- Cut into 1-1/2" squares.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Using small cookie cuter or floured thimble, lightly press a design on the surface of each cookie.
- Bake at 325 for 15-18 minutes, or until pale golden brown.
- Do not overbake.
- Cool on cookie sheet 3 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.
- Store tightly covered.