Don't be fooled by imposters. This is the authentic julep. Makes you want to wear a white suit & black string tie whilst you sip it from your silver cup. I make this every year for a Derby party & some of the guests like them so much they never remember which horse won the race. Cook time includes chilling time.
- Mix the sugar & water in a saucepan. Boil, while stirring, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat & let cool for 15 minutes.
- Bruise 6 mint leaves to release the oil. Place them in a glass pitcher or jar.
- Pour cooled syrup over mint, cap tightly & store in the refrigerator overnight.
- When ready to partake, strain syrup to remove leaves.
- Into your cocktail shaker add bourbon, mint syrup & 1/2 cup ice.
- Shake, shake, shake your julep.
- Pour mixture into a small glass or julep cup.
- Top with a fresh mint leaf.
- Serve with a short straw.