Recipe by s'kat
This is the traditional version, but I plan on substituting gin for the bourbon for a more uniformly- pale sorbet. From Bon Appetit, 1996.
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup lightly packed fresh mint leaves
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons Bourbon
- 1 tablespoon creme de menthe
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh mint leaves
- fresh mint sprig, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first three ingredients in large heavy saucepan, stirring over medium heat until sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to boil, then pour into a medium bowl.
- Refrigerate until cold, about 2 hours.
- Strain mint syrup through sieve set over bowl, pressing down on mint leaves; discard the leaves.
- Mix bourbon, creme de menthe and minced mint leaves into syrup.
- Transfer mixture to ice cream maker, and process according to manufacturers instructions.
- Transfer to container and freeze until firm, about 2 hours.