Recipe by cookiedog
Can't make it to Kentucky for the Derby? Put on your prettiest hat and make these cupcakes inspired by Mint Juleps. They have a fair amount of Bourbon, but not nearly enough to taste exactly like a mint julep- just enough to make them for the adults only. And no matter who wins the race, I BET you'll enjoy them! Adapted From the Blog Cooking and Booking.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mint extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour plus 1 tbsp flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup Bourbon
- 1⁄4 cup creme de menthe
For the frosting
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mint extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon Bourbon
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- mint sprig (optional)
- green sprinkles (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350F, and line cupcake cups.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, & salt. Set aside.
- In the mixer bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Add the eggs one at a time. Once the eggs are combined, add the extracts. Slowly add in half of the flour mixture. Add the milk and liquors to the batter, then the rest of the flour. Mix as little as possible, just until the batter comes together.
- Divide evenly among the cupcake cups. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Let cool.
- For the frosting: Whip the butter & shortening using the whisk attachment (if available). Slowly add in half the powdered sugar. Add in the extracts & bourbon. Add the rest of the powdered sugar. Then slowly add in milk until frosting reaches desired consistancy.
- Once cupcakes are completely cooled, frost and top with mint leaves and green sprinkles (optional, for decoration!).