Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a tried and true recipe from "Companies Coming" I make it every year and it is a no fail recipe. Lovely with lamb and refreshing on a bit of ice-cream
- 4 1⁄2 lbs tart apples, cut up into chunks,leave the peel on and cores left in,wash apples well (Granny Smith are good)
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh mint, chopped,lightly packed
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 4 cups sugar (1 cup for each cup juice, taste the juice before adding more sugar, & If not minty enough add a few)
- green food coloring
- Combine apple chunks with water and mint in a saucepan.
- Cook until apples are mushy.
- Add vinegar, return to boil.
- Boil covered for 5 minutes.
- Pour into a Jelly bag and strain.
- Measure juice into a large pot.
- Add the same amount of sugar cup for cup with the juice.
- Heat& stir until sugar has dissolved and a full roiling boil is reached.
- Add food coloring.
- Boil until it jells (use a teaspoon and drip a little of the jelly if it forms a fairly solid drop and runs to the center of the side of the spoon when tilted it has jelled) about 25-30 minutes Pour into sterilized jars to within 1/4" and seal.