Prep 45 mins
Cook 5 mins
Recipe source: Dressed to Grill
- 4 cups water
- 4 peppermint tea bags
- 2 orange pekoe tea bags
- 1 orange, zest of, only
- 8 mint leaves
- 6 whole cloves
- 1⁄4 cup superfine sugar
- 6 ounces pink grapefruit juice
- ice cube
- mint sprig, garnish
- Bring water to boil in a tea kettle.
- In a large tea pot, place tea bags, orange zest, mint leaves and cloves and then pour boiling water over all. Add sugar and stir until dissolved. Cover and let steep until cool (30-40 minutes).
- Strain tea through mesh strainer into a large pitcher filled with ice.
- Stir in grapefruit juice.
- Serve over ice in large glasses, garnished with mint sprigs, if desired.
I made this as written except that I used decaff tea bags and Splenda, and we really liked it. I would like to share a variation that I used in the next batch when making it for my diabetic son. I steeped the teas mint leaves and orange zest as specified and did not add any sweetener. When it was cool, I mixed it in the glass with half tea mixture and half diet grapefruit soda pop (Loblaws PC brand). This gave the grapefruit twist and sweetener at the same time, as well as keeping the calories lower, and providing a little sparkle. I will be making this tea all summer, probably using both variations.
Lovely tea that tastes great on a hot afternoon! Thanks Ellie!