Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
this is a fresh mint chutney good w. papad (lentil crepes)
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon seeded chopped green chili (or according to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons tamarind paste
- 2 cups firmly packed fresh mint leaves
- Place the ingridients in a blender container in the order given.
- Blend until smooth puree forms.
- refrigirate for 30 minutes.
- Serve chilled.
This chutney is a perfect balance of savory, sweet, spicy, and sour. I love tamarind and I wanted a mint sauce to serve with lamb. Some of the other recipes for mint sauce are too watery and the flavors do not blend well. This one is perfect. Right before serving, I squeezed a bit of fresh lime in it to brighten up the taste.
Fantastic, I love tamarind chutney and I never tried it like this before. Really good, I loved it with the fresh mint! Great with Dosas too. Made exactly as listed, I would not change a thing. PAC-Fall07
Yum! This was exactly what I was looking for. The tamarind is that mystery ingredient which gives it the sourish zing - splendiferous. Thanks Aditi.