Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I made this with my kids and they had a fun time. It is no eggs or milk so they can lick the spoon & bowl without worry. :)
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa or 3 tablespoons powdered chocolate milk mix
- 2 tablespoons dry buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 cup cold water
- Combined all the dry ingredient.
- Add all the wet ingredients.
- Mix well for 2 to 3 minutes.
- From here you can make cupcakes or cake.
- Your choice.
- For cupcakes bake at 350°F for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- For a 8x8-inch pan, grease the pan lightly, and bake at 350°F for 35 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool and frost with green icing or frosting and enjoy.
I thought this was a great recipe and the peppermint flavour was surprisingly nice. I increased the peppermint extract to 1 teaspoon, increased the cocoa powder and used some fresh milk instead of dry buttermilk. Then I made Kitten's buttercream icing and added some peppermint extract to it, a few drops of green colour and viola: the perfect combination of mint and chocolate.
The only reason that I didn't give this 5 stars is that I would have liked a stronger chocolate flavor. I found that the peppermint gave almost a tangy taste to the cupcake which was oddly enjoyable. I left them un-iced and I had to substitute lactose free sour cream (2 tbsp) for the dry buttermilk. I wasn't able to find it. They took no time at all, which was great. Infact I whipped them up during making lunch, took no longer than 5 minutes and then into the over. Will be making these to take camping in a few weeks I'm sure.