Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This has been my favorite recipe for mint choc chip ice cream. Depending on your tastes, and the brand of the extract, you may want to use a bit more or less, start with 1/2 teaspoon and taste it. You can also replace some of the chips with crushed oreo pieces.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon mint extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons powdered milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 -5 drops green food coloring (optional)
- 1 pinch salt
- whisk together milk, sugar, and milk powder.
- Add cream, extracts, salt, and food coloring.
- Pour the milk-cream mixture into ice cream machine and process according to manufacturer's instructions.
- While the ice cream is in the machine, put 1/4 cup chocolate chips into a blender or food processor and chop until mixture is crumbly.
- Set aside.
- In the last 5 minutes of the cycle, add in the chopped chips and 1/4 cup of the whole chips.
- Microwave the remaining 1/4 cup of chocolate chips until melted.
- When the ice cream is finished, quickly swirl in the melted chocolate, spoon into freezable container, and allow to freeze for 20-30 minutes, depending on desired consistency.
- (NOTE: when i microwave the chocolate, they melt but stay still look like chips, you have to stir them to see if they're melted all the way through.).
This is a great recipe. I changed it to use superfine sugar instead of regular granulated because I feel it gives a smoother texture, but otherwise make as written. Thanks!