Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I love mint choc chip ice cream. My favourite ice cream store has just recently discontinued this flavor in many of their outlets. I got hold of this recipe from allrecipes.com--wow!!
- 2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3 drops green food coloring (optional)
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, stir together the milk, cream, sugar, salt, vanilla extract and peppermint extract until the sugar has dissolved. Color to your liking with the green food coloring.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker, and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. After about 10 minutes into the freezing, add the chocolate chips. After the ice cream has thickened, about 30 minutes later, spoon into a container, and freeze for 2 hours.
This is an excellent recipe and I'm glad I chose it to christen my new ice cream maker! I'm rating it as a 4 because I prefer mint (creme de menthe) to peppermint and used that instead. It seemed a bit too minty at first, but it mellowed as it sat and ended up being perfect.