Prep 25 mins
Cook 24 hrs
If you love mint chocolate-chip ice cream, you'll love this recipe! (Cook time is chill time.)
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 8 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons creme de menthe
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mint extract
- 1 -2 drop green food coloring
- 1⁄2 cup bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- In a heavy saucepan scald the milk and heavy cream with the sugar over moderate heat, stirring.
- In a large bowl beat the egg yolks until light and lemon colored and add the milk mixture in a stream, stirring.
- Transfer the custard to the saucepan and cook it over moderately low heat, stirring, until it thickens and coats the spoon.
- Transfer the custard to a metal bowl set in a bowl of cracked ice and let it cool, covered with a round of wax paper.
- Remove the custard from the bowl of ice and chill it for 2 hours. Stir in the crème de menthe, mint extract and food coloring, and freeze the mixture.