Recipe by JenSmith
I LOVE these cookies. They are easy to make and have a gorgeous balance of minty-chocolate-y-ness. You can make mini-biscotti, if you want. I always double the recipe and freeze one batch. PLEASE NOTE*: These are NOT SWEET cookies. Best dunked in hot coffee or chocolate.
Top Review by Don Steele
I tried these on November 01,and enjoyed them,the base seemed more like a shortbread one.I used pepermint oil,as the flovour and it was great,the marriage of mint and chocolate should be a favorite of all who like this taste.Don
- 8 tablespoons softened butter
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons pure peppermint extract or 4 tablespoons pepermint liqueur
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream the butter and sugar with a wooden spoon until fluffy. Beat in eggs and add extracts.
- Sift together flour, salt, and baking powder. Add to butter/sugar mixture, blending thoroughly. Dough will be stiff. Use back of spoon to aid in mixing, or you can use and electric mixer on LOW speed.
- Stir in chocolate chips. Divide dough into thirds. Drop each third by spoonfuls onto a sheet of plastic wrap or waxed paper. Shape dough into logs aobut 2 x 10 x 1-inch high. Wrap plastic neatly and tightly around the log, closing long sides first, then the ends. Place in freezer for 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat oven ot 350°F Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Unwrap the logs and place them on the lined sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until logs are lightly browned. Remove from oven. Reduce heat to 300°.
- Slide paper or foil with logs off baking sheet and onto a cutting board. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Using a thin sharp knife (I use a serrated knife), cut logs at an angle into slices about 3/4- to 1-inch wide. Slice paper and slices back onto baking sheet. Lay each cookie slice on its side. Return to oven. Bake 10 minutes. Remove from oven. Turn each cookie slice to the opposite side and bake again for 10 minutes.