Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
I got this recipe from Group Recipes and it was SO good i HAD to post it here. I take no credit!! Thanks to Jovi_nutt! It tastes like a Thin Mint girl scout cookie or a York peppermint patty. It wasn't nearly as heavy as i thought, either!
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk, hot
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, room temperature (reduced fat works well)
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour two 8 inch layer pans (or the equivalent).
- Mix the sugar, sifted flour, sifted cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
- Slowly add the hot milk and butter while stirring.
- Add the eggs and 3/4 tsp of peppermint extract.
- Distribute evenly in the pans and bake for 25 minutes, or longer, until toothpick comes out clean.
- For the icing, beat one stick of soft butter and the three room temperature packages of cream cheese until smooth.
- Add 3/4 tsp of peppermint extract and 5 cups of powdered sugar.
NOTE: THIS REVIEW IS FOR ICING ONLY I used the icing in this recipe for a different chocolate mint cake. The icing is amazing. The peppermint and cream cheese complement each other in a way so that neither is too strong. Have already used twice and will use again for sure. Also, this icing tastes better the next day.