Recipe by mollypaul
These jade green gems beautifully garnish roast lamb. The color and flavor could easily be changed using red food coloring and cinnamon extract to garnish other dishes. From the Mississippi Valley chapter of Midwestern Recipes, The United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 4 small apples, peeled and cored (use a good flavored apple, such as Mackintosh)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon mint extract
- green food coloring
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil sugar and water together for five minutes.
- Add a few drops of food coloring and the mint flavoring.
- Place apples in pan with syrup and cover tightly.
- Simmer slowly until apples are slightly tender (but still holding their shape).
- Serve as a garnish to roast lamb.