Recipe by Gay Gilmore
Can be lightened by using Turkey bacon or Turkey sausage.
Top Review by GaylaR
I have been looking EVERYWHERE for this recipe for years! My "copy" is handwritten on an old fax and I have actually been preparing this dressing from that for 10 years. This is my family's favorite dressing, it is a nice alternative to corn bread dressing. THANK YOU Gay for posting!
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1 (4 ounce) package wild rice, cooked according to package directions
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 lb breakfast sausage, cooked
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium-size skillet, over medium heat, sauté bacon until almost crisp.
- Add onion, celery and mushrooms; continue cooking until vegetables are tender.
- In large bowl combine bacon mixture, wild rice, bread crumbs, sausage, oregano and sage.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper if desired.
- Spoon dressing into lightly greased 2-quart casserole dish.
- Bake, covered, at 325 degrees F 35-40 minutes.