Recipe by John Skrable
Another Campbell's soup thing. Farmers up there have been trying to kill wild rice for a 150 years. Then they discovered that the stuff is worth $10 a pound. If you're up thataway, ask for wild rice soup, in a pea soup base. Local specialty.
Top Review by Tebo
Just a great soup!! Easy to do and really tasty. I did it in the microwave. This prevented it from sticking to the bottom of the pot. Nice thick and hardy soup. Glad to add it to my recipe book.
- 2 (10 1/4 ounce) cans Campbell's split pea soup
- 3 1⁄2 cups water
- 4 tablespoons wild rice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 2 tablespoons dried vegetable flakes
- 2 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 3 pinches salt
- black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan add all ingredients, and water (I use the soup cans to measure - 2 3/4 cans).
- Bring to a full roiling boil, and stir well.
- Reduce heat to simmer, and cover.
- Simmer for 2 and 1/2 hours.
- It takes that long for the wild rice to cook.
- Stir occasionally.
- Remove bay leaves after 2 hours.
- If it's a little thick, add a bit of water.