Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Here is the recipe for Corn Dogs that Paul Jones featured on his show " Home Grown Cooking - Episode 260 " on the Home and Garden Network.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
- 1 package hot dog, any variety
- oil, for deep frying
- Other: 10 bamboo skewers, soaked in water Heat oil to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, combine cornmeal, salt, honey and boiling water.
- In a separate bowl, beat together egg, milk and butter.
- Add egg mixture to cornmeal mixture. Sift together flour and baking powder, then incorporate it into the mix until smooth.
- Insert stick into hot dogs, dip in batter, and place in a preheated fryer until golden brown - approximately eight to 10 minutes.
- Drain, and serve.
Thank you. Now I can enjoy with my grandkids.
I don't know HOW this worked for everyone else if you followed the recipe instructions. This batter turned out so thin you couldn't possibly coat anything with it. The only explanation or alteration that I can think of is that maybe you should add the meal mix TO the boiling water on the stove and thicken it a bit like polenta? But per the instructions I dumped it into the bowl. I don't get it....
Thank you, Bill! I cut this recipe in half and did 5 Oscar Meyer Beef dogs with enough left over for about 3 more. The batter was just right with excellent flavor. I will use this recipe to surprise my grandchildren on their next visit...and we didn't even have to stand in line to get a great corn dog!