Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a very hearty soup. This is a very hearty soup. I really like this one! I love soup and good bread.
- 3 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 1⁄2 cup sliced celery
- 1⁄3 cup wild rice
- 1⁄3 cup sliced onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups cut-up cooked chicken
- Mix broth, carrots, celery, uncooked rice, onions, thyme, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 hour, until the rice is tender.
- Melt butter, stir in the flour, then the half-half.
- Cook and stir 1 minute. Slowly add half-half mixture to the rice mixture, stirring constantly. Stir in the chicken and heat through.
DELICIOUS! I added a dash of cayenne for some heat, but otherwise followed the recipe. I used homemade stock, and this soup was really wonderful. Thank you so much! I'll make it often.
This soup was WONDERFUL! I double the recipe and pretty much followed it, except used a can of evaporated milk in place of the half and half, my family gobbled it up! I love how EASY it is to make too!
This soup really hit the spot! Best soup I've ever made. I tweaked the recipe just a tad to suit our tastes. I added two cloves of garlic, minced, doubled the thyme, used a full four cups of homemade stock, and added 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan salt (my stock didn't have any salt) after the wild rice had thoroughly cooked. I took another reviewer's advice and used broth from the soup, instead of half and half, to thicken the butter/flour mixture, and then added the half and half after reducing the heat. In my experience, getting a soup to thicken requires bringing it to a boil, and I didn't want to do that with dairy. Next time, I'll do one better, and reserve that extra 1/2 cup of broth I added initially for this purpose. Anyway, I LOVED this absolutely DELICIOUS soup! It reheated wonderfully, and as I said before, really hit the spot. Served with homemade biscuits... YUMMY! Thank you so much for sharing! I will be making this often!