When you grow up less than 30 minutes from Wisconsin, of course you are going to love a good beer & cheese soup!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup diced leek
- 1⁄2 cup diced carrot
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 lunds & byerly's bay leaf
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 (12 ounce) bottlepale ale
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon spanish smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 lb baby cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup coarsely crushed pretzel
- In large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add leeks, carrots, garlic, and bay leaf. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften (10-12 minutes). Reduce heat to low and sprinkle flour over vegetables, cook, stirring, 1-2 minutes.
- Add milk, pale ale and cream, stirring to combine for 5-6 minutes.
- Stir in Worcestershire, paprika, salt and pepper. Bring mixture to a simmer over low heat. Cook 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add cheese one handful at a time, stirring until melted before adding additional cheese (do not boil).
- Discard bay leave.
- Spoon into bowls and garnish with crushed pretzels.