Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
American Home Cooking
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1⁄2 cup dried cherries or 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- brown sugar or maple sugar or maple syrup
- Steam the wild rice or boil it covered by 2 inches of water; it is ready when tender but pleasantly chewy, with many burst kernels, after about 45 minutes; drain rice.
- Combine the oats with the dried cherries, salt, and 3 cups water in a saucepan; cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until soft and thick.
- Stir in the wild rice and milk.
- Serve steaming hot in large bowls, topped lightly with sugar or syrup.
I am SO thrilled you posted this recipe!!!! I had it in MN on vacation last week, and this was the exact recipe. I am not an oatmeal gal, but I could have eaten this every day. Thanks for posting, YUM!
I was looking for this type of recipe. I thought I might be the only one interested in eating wild rice for breakfast! Anyway, this was SO creamy and satisfying.It reminded me of a really healthy rice pudding. I topped with defrosted frozen bing cherries. Thanks so much for posting.