- 3⁄4 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1⁄2 cup dried cherries or 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- brown sugar or maple sugar or maple syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- Steam the wild rice or boil it covered by 2 inches of water; it is ready when tender but pleasantly chewy, with many burst kernels, after about 45 minutes; drain rice.
- Combine the oats with the dried cherries, salt, and 3 cups water in a saucepan; cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until soft and thick.
- Stir in the wild rice and milk.
- Serve steaming hot in large bowls, topped lightly with sugar or syrup.