1/2 Photos of Minna Canth's Spice Cake
1 hr 30 mins
A lovely, soft spice cake with a surprise ingredient - whipped cream! Minna Canth (1844-1897) was a Finnish playwright, novelist and essayist as well as an energetic fighter for women's rights and social justice. This recipe comes from the Canth family recipe collection and was printed in the Perinnemakuja maakunnista cookbook. I've modified it slightly - the original recipe called for 1 tbls of ground bitter orange peel, which I don't like at all, so substituted cinnamon instead. You can of course experiment and find your favourite spice combination, too!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 175 C.
- 2Grease and flour a 2 litre cake pan (I use a Bundt pan).
- 3Whip eggs with sugar until light and fluffy.
- 4Add the whipped cream to the egg mixture, mix to combine.
- 5In a separate bowl, combine the flour with baking soda and the spices.
- 6Add dry ingredient mixture alternately with the molasses, mixing well after each addition.
- 7Finally, add the melted butter, mix to combine.
- 8Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake at 175 C for 30 minutes.
- 9After the first 30 minutes, lower the oven temperature to 150 C and bake for further 20-30 minutes, or until cake tests done.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Minna Canth's Spice Cake
Serving Size: 1 (1146 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3830.9
- Calories from Fat 1803
- Total Fat 200.3 g
- Saturated Fat 120.7 g
- Cholesterol 1015.8 mg
- Sodium 3325.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 464.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.0 g
- Sugars 159.5 g
- Protein 53.1 g