Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I tried a few recipe's to make this and combined the flavors I liked from all of them and found this really easy and yummy recipe. An electric can opener is handy with this recipe.
- 1 (3 -4 lb) cooked broiler-fryer chickens, shredded (I like to buy the ones already cooked at the grocery store.)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans, drained
- 2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chilies
- 1 (4 ounce) candiced jalapenos (or less if you don't want this too spicy!)
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice
- cumin, I like to use about 3-4 TBSP
- 2 -3 teaspoons southwest seasoning (Pampered Chef is the best!)
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
- Saute onions and garlic in olive oil till tender but not browned.
- Add everything else and cook for 20-30 minutes or longer.
- Sometimes I need to thicken the sauce with equal parts corn starch & water when necessary.
- Serve with corn chips, flour tortilla's, over rice, avocado, salsa, fresh tomatoes or cheese. Whatever you prefer and have time for!
This is excellent topped it with pan fried tortilla strips, green onions and sour cream