Recipe by Manami
An intensely flavored-mushroom wine filling, and a simple custard with frozen puff pastry. The filling may be made a day ahead and kept in the fridge. I'll bet that you can't eat just one! They were fabulous! We found this in Sunset Magazine, Jan. 2007 edition.
- 1⁄2 tablespoon unsalted butter or 1⁄2 tablespoon unsalted margarine
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot (about 1 small)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (1-2 cloves)
- 1⁄3 lb button mushroom, cleaned, trimmed, and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon madeira wine
- 1⁄2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 lb chilled puff pastry
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter with olive oil in a medium frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add shallot and garlic and cook 30 seconds, stirring.
- Add mushrooms and thyme and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms stop giving off liquid and start to brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add Madeira and soy sauce and cook just until liquid has evaporated, about 2 minutes.
- Let cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- On a floured work surface and with a floured rolling pin, roll pastry sheet out to a thickness of 1/8".
- Cut pastry into rounds with a buttered and floured 2" biscuit or cookie cutter with fluted edges and arrange rounds 1/2" apart on 2 baking sheets.
- Press the middle of each round with your finger to make a depression, leaving a 1/4" wide rim.
- Poke each center once with a fork and top with a scant teaspoon of mushroom filling.
- Whisk egg and cream together and set aside.
- Bake pastries until golden brown and beginning to puff, 8-12 minutes
- Remove from oven and lower heat to 350°.
- With the end of a small funnel or tiny teaspoon, carefully punch down centers of pastries while spooning about 1/2 teaspoon egg-cream mixture through funnel (to help guide the liquid) and into pastry (spoon in more if the pastry will accept it without overflowing).
- Bake pastries another 10-15 mins or until deep golden brown.