Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
It seems that the only whitebait recipes are for whitebait fritters which can get a little boring. So I came up with this recipe as we had oodles of whitebait to get through. These are made in muffins pans but can also be made in mini-muffin pans. The dried herbs and parmesan give the quiches a nice flavour however don't be too heavy-handed with these as you don't want the delicate taste of the whitebait to be overempowered. Makes about 8 muffin size quiches which will serve 2-3 as a meal or 16-20 mini-muffin size quiches.
- Saute the onion and oil over a low heat for 5 minutes or until soft. Put aside and leave to cool.
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees celcius & spray the muffin tin with oil spray.
- In a bowl whisk the eggs. Add the salt, pepper, dill, thyme, milk, flour & parmesan and whisk until smooth.
- Stir in the whitebait and cooled onions.
- Spoon into the muffin tin.
- Place tin into preheated oven and bake for 15 - 20 minutes or until set and a pale golden colour.
- Remove from oven and leave the quiches to cool in the tins for 15 minutes before removing otherwise they may break up as you try to get them out of the tin.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with a salad. If making mini-muffin sized quiches they are great served as a nibble with drinks.