1 hr 18 mins
Adapted from "Sunday Roasts," by Betty Rosbottom.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 226.79 g shallot
- 22.18 ml unsalted butter
- 51.76 ml olive oil, divided
- 4 (510.29 g) beef tenderloin steaks or 4 (510.29 g) filet mignon, each 1 inch thick
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 24.64 ml grainy mustard
- 59.16 ml grated gruyere cheese, divided
- flour, for rolling out pastry
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed (from a 17.3-ounce package)
- 1 egg, beaten
- fleur de sel, Maldon salt or other coarse salt
- 1Peel shallots, cut in half lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Melt butter with 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in a large, heavy frying pan over medium heat. Add shallots; reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring frequently, until shallots are nicely browned, translucent and tender, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat.
- 2Sprinkle one side of each steak with salt and pepper to taste. Place a heavy medium frying pan over high heat for 3 to 4 minutes, until pan is very hot. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, then sear the steaks for 1 minute per side. Transfer steaks to a dinner plate; let cool for 5 minutes. Top each cooled steak with a generous teaspoon of mustard, one-quarter of the shallots and 1 tablespoon cheese.
- 3On a floured work surface, roll puff pastry into a 12-inch square. Cut pastry into four 6-inch squares. Brush a 1/2-inch border around each square with beaten egg. Refrigerate the remaining egg.
- 4Place a pastry square (brushed-side down) over a steak; carefully lift the meat and press the pastry around its sides, then seal tightly on the bottom. Place on a (foil lined) lightly oiled baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining sheets. Refrigerate the Mini Wellingtons for 45 to 60 minutes.
- 5Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Brush the tops and sides of the pastry enclosing each steak with some of the reserved beaten egg. Sprinkle the tops with a pinch of fleur de sel.
- 6Roast on the middle oven rack until the pastry is golden brown and a thermometer inserted through the pastry to the center of the meat registers 135 degrees to 140 degrees for medium-rare, 15 to 18 minutes.
- 7Transfer the Mini Wellingtons to a rack and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mini Wellingtons (Individual Serving)
Serving Size: 1 (288 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 886.9
- Calories from Fat 597
- Total Fat 66.3 g
- Saturated Fat 21.3 g
- Cholesterol 173.8 mg
- Sodium 335.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 34.8 g