Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This was featured in the Montreal Gazette and comes from Norene Gilletz cookbook Healthy Kitchen.
Make and share this Mini Veggie Latkes With Smoked Salmon and Tzatziki recipe from Food.com.
- 1 medium onion, cut into chunks
- 1 idaho potato, cut into chunks
- 1 medium sweet potato, cut into chunks
- 1 carrot, cut into chunks
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into chunks
- 1 red pepper, seeded and cut into chunks
- 2 eggs (or 1 egg and 2 egg white)
- 1⁄3 cup matzo meal or 1⁄3 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil, for frying
- 1 cup tzatziki
- 1⁄4 lb smoked salmon, cut into bite size pieces
- additional dill (to garnish)
- In a food processor fitted with steel blade, process the vegetables in batches until finely minced, 8-10 seconds.
- Transfer the vegetables to a large bowl and add the eggs, matzo meal, salt, pepper, and dill and mix well.
- Spray a large nonstick frying pan with cooking spray, and add 1 tablespoon oil and heat over medium high heat.
- Drop the batter from a teaspoon into the hot oil to form a pancake Don't crowd the pan. Flatten slightly with the back of the spoon, reduce heat to medium and brown well on both sides about 3 minutes per side.
- Remove latkes from the pan and drain on paper towels. Add more oil to the pan as needed and stir batter before cooking each new batch of latkes.
- When ready to serve, arrange latkes on a platter and top each with a dollop of tzatziki, smoked salmon and a sprig of dill.
- Variation: Instead of zucchini use 1 10 ounce package of frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry.
- For baking: put racks on lowest and middle position and preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Drop the latke mixture by the tsp onto well oiled baking sheet and flatten slightly.
- Bake 10 minutes or until bottoms are browned and crispy. Turn latkes over, switch pans from bottom to middle and vice versa and bake 8-10 minutes.