This was featured in the Montreal Gazette and comes from Norene Gilletz cookbook Healthy Kitchen.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium onion, cut into chunks
- 1 idaho potato, cut into chunks
- 1 medium sweet potato, cut into chunks
- 1 carrot, cut into chunks
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into chunks
- 1 red pepper, seeded and cut into chunks
- 2 eggs (or 1 egg and 2 egg white)
- 1/3 cup matzo meal or 1/3 cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil, for frying
- 1 cup tzatziki
- 1/4 lb smoked salmon, cut into bite size pieces
- additional dill (to garnish)
- 1In a food processor fitted with steel blade, process the vegetables in batches until finely minced, 8-10 seconds.
- 2Transfer the vegetables to a large bowl and add the eggs, matzo meal, salt, pepper, and dill and mix well.
- 3Spray a large nonstick frying pan with cooking spray, and add 1 tablespoon oil and heat over medium high heat.
- 4Drop the batter from a teaspoon into the hot oil to form a pancake Don't crowd the pan. Flatten slightly with the back of the spoon, reduce heat to medium and brown well on both sides about 3 minutes per side.
- 5Remove latkes from the pan and drain on paper towels. Add more oil to the pan as needed and stir batter before cooking each new batch of latkes.
- 6When ready to serve, arrange latkes on a platter and top each with a dollop of tzatziki, smoked salmon and a sprig of dill.
- 7Variation: Instead of zucchini use 1 10 ounce package of frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry.
- 8For baking: put racks on lowest and middle position and preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Drop the latke mixture by the tsp onto well oiled baking sheet and flatten slightly.
- 9Bake 10 minutes or until bottoms are browned and crispy. Turn latkes over, switch pans from bottom to middle and vice versa and bake 8-10 minutes.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mini Veggie Latkes With Smoked Salmon and Tzatziki
Serving Size: 1 (1125 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 298.5
- Calories from Fat 128
- Total Fat 14.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 112.2 mg
- Sodium 588.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 12.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: