Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is rustic Italian recipe adapted from an old immigrant cookbook. Simple ingredients that combine to make delicious sandwich sized frittatas. These are amazing eaten as a warm sandwich with olive oil-drizzed, grilled Italian bread. Enjoy!
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped artichoke heart
- 1⁄3 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄3 cup grated zucchini
- 12 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup grated romano cheese
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped Italian parsley (optional)
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- olive oil, for muffin tins
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Oil 2 - 12 muffin cup tins with olive oil. (Non-stick tins work best).
- Saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil and butter until onion is clear.
- Add artichoke hearts, mushrooms and zucchini.
- Saute 5 to 10 minutes.
- Spoon this mixture into muffin tins about half way up.
- Beat the eggs with the salt, pepper and herbs until frothy.
- Mix in the grated cheese, then pour evenly over the top of the vege mixture.
- Top each with a tablespoon of the Marinara Sauce and bake 15 minutes, or until egg mixture is set.
- Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Use a knife to loosen the edges of each frittata and serve.
These are so delicious!! Pressed one in a grilled Ciabatta sandwich with a little marinara and mayo.....oh my! The sandwich idea is a must try!!!