We have been eating a lot of turkey over the last few years instead of beef, and I developed this recipe to fill some of my mediterranean tastes one night.
- 1 (10 ounce) box couscous
- 1 lb ground turkey breast
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 scallions, trimmed, washed, and sliced
- 4 roma tomatoes, chopped into bite sized pieces, unseeded
- 1 English cucumber, unpeeled, cut in half lengthwise, and sliced into 1/4 inch half moon shapes
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 cup garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, freshly chopped
- Cook couscous according to package instructions.
- Combine couscous with scallions, tomatoes, cucumber, lemon juice, lemon zest, parsley, garbanzo beans and 1 TBS olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix ground turkey with cumin, cinnamon, oregano, and salt & pepper to season. Shape into small meatballs.
- Heat a large skillet with 2 TBS olive oil to medium high heat. Add meatballs and cook until desired doneness. About 4-5 minutes on all sides.
- Serve Meatballs with the Couscous salad. Garnish with a sprinkling of parsley, olives, or feta cheese if you prefer.