Prep 12 mins
Cook 4 hrs
A favorite treat for chocolate lovers! Make your own at home. Here's a recipe a friend sent me, since she knows I loooove Tootsie Rolls!
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons shortening
- 4 teaspoons cocoa
- 2 tablespoons evaporated skim milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- Combine sugar, corn syrup, shortening, and cocoa in a medium saucepan over medium/high heat.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to medium, and simmer candy until temperature comes to 275 degrees on a candy thermometer.
- Remove pan from heat.
- When bubbling stops, add condensed milk and beat in pan with electric mixer for about 30 seconds.
- Add vanilla, then continue to beat candy until it begins to firm up and you can no longer beat it.
- Pour candy out onto wax paper.
- When cool, divide candy into several portions and roll into long ropes that are approximately 1/2 inch thick.
- Use a sharp knife to slice candy into 1 1/8-inch-long portions.
- Arrange the candy on a plate and let it sit out overnight so that it firms up.
This is very good and very close to the real thing thanks for posting