Recipe by Tisme
I am not sure where I found this recipe, but these are great appetizer's and they freeze so well. The family loves these for a quick and easy snack after work or school. Parmesan cheese can be substituted for cheddar if you prefer. Finely chopped spring onions, can also be added or substituted for basil. I have included tips on freezing below.
Top Review by Fairy Nuff
We love this recipe!! Half an hour out of the oven saw half of these goodies gone. Didn't have any decent basil so used the spring onion/scallion option. Easy to make and they taste just as good cold. I brushed melted butter on the pans and had no trouble with either the colour or removing the quiches. Thanks Tisme for your recipe!!
- 3 sheets puff pastry, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup sun-dried tomato, well chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup cheddar cheese, finely grated
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- sea salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Grease two tartlet trays with 12 holes in each tray.
- Use a 7cm (3in) round cookie cutter to cut circles from the pastry then place into tartlet holes.
- Combine the tomatoes, basil and cheese in a bowl then divide the mixture between pastry shells.
- In another bowl whisk together the eggs and sour cream salt and pepper, then spoon a small amount into each pastry shell.
- Carefully stir each of the tartlets to combine the filling and the egg mixture.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until golden brown. (If freezing see cooking tip below.).
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- TIP~ If the filling is cooked but the underside of the pastry is still uncooked as some ovens will cook pastry better than others, place them upside-down on an oven tray and brown briefly under the grill. Be careful that they don't burn.
- IF FREEZING ~.
- Cook tartlets until just lightly browned and filling is just firm.
- TO FREEZE.:.
- Let tartlets completely cool and flash freeze the tartlets on a tray lined with baking paper and when frozen transfer to a freezer bag or plastic container.
- To Defrost ~.
- Remove from freezer and defrost on bench, or in the fridge or in the microwave; you can also put one or two in the lunch box and they'll be defrosted by lunchtime.
- To reheat ~ (from frozen).
- Place frozen tartlets on tray and place in warm oven and cook for approx 10 minutes.