Recipe by The Dancing Soy Bean
A very quick and easy way to make vegan omelets and up your daily protein count without excessive fat! Enjoy!
- 8 ounces lite firm tofu (1/2 block)
- 3 slices soy cheese (homemade or store-bought)
- your choice of dried spices (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- DO NOT press the tofu (it WILL shred if you do - and in this case, not pressing it won't result in a soggy wet mess). Instead, take your 1/2 block, lay it on the counter, and very carefully slice the top of it with a cheese slicer, making each slice as thick as the cheese slicer will allow. Remove the slice and repeat. You should end up with approximately 6 thin slices (some ripping may occur, but just go slowly and it should stay intact).
- Lay each slice on a large pan sprayed with Pam, on your stovetop (medium heat).
- Sprinkle the tops of the tofu slices with dried spices (or brush on some hot sauce), if you'd like more of a kick to your omelet.
- When the bottom of each slice has turned golden brown, flip them. When both sides are golden brown, remove from the stove. They will have shrunken a little, but that's because the water has cooked out.
- Sandwich a slice of vegan cheese between 2 slices of tofu, so that you end up with 3 mini omelet sandwiches. If you want the cheese to melt, microwave them for about 10 - 30 seconds (depending on your microwave's power).
- Enjoy with ketchup or plain! Makes a great "omelet" sandwich when between bread! And I'll bet adding vegan sausage to the sandwich would be good too (even more protein)!