Recipe by Nado2003
I morphed Spinach Ricotta Pie Spinach Ricotta Pie with a Hint of Feta to make individual size pies for my kids to take to school lunches. I prefer them without the tortilla crust, but the kids and my husband like the crust. I accidentally forgot to grease the ramekins, but they did not stick, so now I do not grease my ramekins.
Top Review by FLKeysJen
Wonderful portable quiches! My muffin tin's pretty deep so this recipe made 12 mini pies for me. They're very moist and I thought delicious-my husband said it tasted too healthy for him. (If I added turkey sausage and used the tortillas he'd probably love them.) Instead of oregano I used one tablespoon chopped fresh dill and one teaspoon ground nutmeg. I like that they didn't stick to the pan but may try 1-2 more eggs (or whites) to get a firmer consistency. Squeezing the fluid out of the spinach after sauteeing would help too. Will make again!
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 453.59 g spinach, washed, thorough dried and slice thinly
- 453.59 g fat-free cottage cheese
- 4 eggs
- 14.79 ml dried oregano
- 118.29 ml feta cheese, crumbled (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- tortilla (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat oil in heavy pot over medium high heat.
- Saute onion and garlic until onion is starting to turn yellow, not quite brown.
- Add spinach in batches and saute until wilted.
- In bowl, beat cottage cheese, eggs, oregano, salt and pepper if using, together.
- Add spinach mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Spoon batter into muffin tin, fill 3/4 full - I use paper cupcake liners. This makes about 16 to 18 muffins. I just use my dozen cupcake pan, and then put the leftover mix into small ramekin cups.
- Variation: grease the muffin tin, then cut flour tortillas (use a flattened out cupcake liner as a template) into rounds, carefully push the tortillas into greased muffin cups, fold over excess tortilla from the side. Fill 3/4 full with mixture.
- Top each muffin with heaping teaspoon of crumbled feta.
- Bake until top starts to brown, about 30 minutes (without tortilla) or increase time to about 35 to 40 minutes with tortilla.