This recipe from Food and Wine Magazine looked very intriguing to me. Although it takes some time, it's fairly easy and pretty spectacular to serve.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 10 ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups gruyere cheese (6 oz.)
- 1 cup minced fresh chives
- 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh nutmeg
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 40 slices rye cocktail bread
- 40 slices pumpernickel rounds
- 6 large eggs
- 1In a medium saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons of butter. Stir in flour until completely blended, then cook over moderately hight heat, stirring constantly, until roux is golden brown, about 3 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk until smooth. Bring sauce to boil, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to moderately low and simmer, whisking often, until no floury taste remains, about 5 minutes. Remove saucepan from heat and let sauce cool, stirring, until very warm. Stir in chopped salmon, Gruyeres, chives, and nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper and let sauce cool completely.
- 2Spread half of the rye slices with a rounded tablespoon of the salmon mixture and close the sandwiches. Repeat with the pumpernickel slices and remaining salmon mixture. Can cover sandwiches with plastic wrap and store in refrigerator overnight, if desired.
- 3Preheat oven to 400°F In a large shallow bowl, beat eggs thoroughly. Stack 2 or 3 large rimmed baking sheets on one side of the stove.
- 4In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoons of butter over moderate heat. Dip 8 of the sandwiches in the beaten egg to coat completely, cook the egg-dipped sandwiches over moderately-high heat, turning once, until browned, about 1 minutes per side. Transfer sandwiches to one of the baking sheet, leaving a little space between each one. Repeat with the remaining sandwiches and beaten eggs, using 1 tbsp of butter per batch.
- 5Reheat sandwiches in the oven for about 8 minutes, until piping hot. Cut sandwiches in half on the diagonal, skewer with small wooden forks and serve hot.
- 6Sandwiches can be made earlier in the day and reheated.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mini Smoked Salmon Sandwiches (Croque-Monsieur)
Serving Size: 1 (85 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 170.7
- Calories from Fat 96
- Total Fat 10.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 91.4 mg
- Sodium 271.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 9.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: